I have created this blog for anyone that wants regular updates about my time here in Malawi. I am currently volunteering my time to the Ministry of Hope Crisis Nursery and Orphan Feeding Centers.  I am a Neonatal Intensive Care nurse helping to care for the orphaned, abandoned and ill babies of Malawi.  I will try to post updates as often as I can. I thank you all for your support and prayers. Please send them to the babies, children, and people of Africa too. I hope in the pictures you are able to get a small idea of what life is like here for me, but mainly the people of Malawi.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007


This picture was taken, only because of the consent of the guardian. I feel torn about whether I should even post this, but I feel it is important to give an example of the devastating effects of HIV and the lack of medical care here. She was the only positive person in the group of 50 we tested, and we assumed she was before the results had even come back just by her appearance. We learned that her mother died of the disease and it now has been passed along to her. She was born without even a chance. The right side of her face has been scarred from shingles and she has lost complete eyesight in her right eye. She was never taken for treatment even though it had been advised. The grandmother is the guardian and she underwent counseling today for the importance of her granddaughter to be followed up for treatment and proper nutrition. Ministry of Hope will help arrange that she has transportation to be seen at the Baylor Pediatric HIV Clinic and access to good food. Her sister sitting next to her tested negative. Pray for her and her family.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Briana,

Thanks for sharing your pictures and your experiences with us. We are very proud of you and pray for you and your new friends often.

love,
Jeanie and Darrell