I have created this blog for anyone that wants regular updates about my time here in Malawi. I am currently volunteering my time to the Ministry of Hope Crisis Nursery and Orphan Feeding Centers.  I am a Neonatal Intensive Care nurse helping to care for the orphaned, abandoned and ill babies of Malawi.  I will try to post updates as often as I can. I thank you all for your support and prayers. Please send them to the babies, children, and people of Africa too. I hope in the pictures you are able to get a small idea of what life is like here for me, but mainly the people of Malawi.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

South Luangwa, Zambia


My weekend safari trip to Zambia went well. The road was every bit as bumpy as I expected, but we all survived. We spent three nights in safari tents at the Flatdogs Camp right outside the National Park. The camp was situated right on the Luangwa River which feeds into the Zambezi River creating one of the seven wonders of the world, Victoria Falls. This time of year it is the hot season in Africa, which is great for seeing wildlife as there are few watering holes left. The rains had just started a few weeks ago, but was still rather dry (although it looks nice and green in this picture). It was the hottest I have been in my entire life too. I can't ever remember experiencing heat like this. The only break in the day was from around 4 am to 6 am, the rest of the time...miserable! Thank goodness for the pool at the camp, it was my only saving grace during the day. So every day we went out on game drives from 6-10 am and then again from 4-8pm. We saw lots of elephants, a baby leopard, lions with cubs, impala, kudu, water buck, bushbuck, cape buffalo, hippos, crocs, giraffe, zebra, hyenas, mongoose, badgers, warthogs, eagles, lots of birds and probably a few others I am forgetting. Seeing the leopard was a treat too, as it is rare to get to see one. Probably my favorite thing to see though were the elephants. It is just something about they way they move their massive awkward bodies. I learned that the gestation period for an elephant is 22 months. Can you imagine being pregnant for almost 2 years??? It was a really nice trip with fun people and a good way for me to debrief before I make the long journey home next week. I am in the process of getting my November slideshow on my blog so keep checking.
Posted by Picasa