I have created this blog for anyone that wants regular updates about my time here in Malawi. I am currently volunteering my time to the Ministry of Hope Crisis Nursery and Orphan Feeding Centers.  I am a Neonatal Intensive Care nurse helping to care for the orphaned, abandoned and ill babies of Malawi.  I will try to post updates as often as I can. I thank you all for your support and prayers. Please send them to the babies, children, and people of Africa too. I hope in the pictures you are able to get a small idea of what life is like here for me, but mainly the people of Malawi.

Monday, October 29, 2007

or·phan



"Mada" was on my heart tonight, so I decided to tell everyone a little story. I am sure you have seen her frequently in my pictures, as I can't help but be drawn to this little girl. Her spirit is so alive and full, yet she will probably will not live a full life. Born to a HIV positive mother, she too is infected. She had a rough start as sickness plagued the first 3 months of her life. Most were unsure if she would even make it, but she perservered. She is now on ARV's (anti-retroviral drugs) to treat her HIV and is followed closely at the Baylor Clinic. She is otherwise healthy, but needs physical therapy for her hips as they are hypermobile and the muscles are weak from malnutrition early in life. Her father is still alive and remains HIV negative, but we are unsure at this time if he has the capability to care for her. The care that she requires for her doctors visits, drugs, and good nutrition would be more than he could manage. If he did take her back, would he actually attempt to do what it takes??? He lives in a far off village over an hour from Lilongwe in a mud hut with a thatched roof, but ultimately he has the power to decide. Will he want her back? She has been the product of many sleepless nights for me as I have fallen in love with this little girl. It is not for me to adopt at this stage in my life, but it is hard to walk away too. I just want to see for her the best life can bring. She brings joy to everyone she meets. I think to explain the personality or soul of a human being is nearly impossible because of the complexities each individual holds is so great. Even in a child when typically their personalities are less complicated it is still difficult. But try to imagine the best possible personality with every desirable characteristic, and that is hers. She really is one of the most loving little ones I have ever cared for. Always happy... always. All of these babies need prayer, but today I just ask that you send up a special prayer for Madalitso. That her life would be blessed with health and happiness. That she would have a wonderful loving family, whether it is with her biological family, or another.

No comments: