I have created this blog for anyone that wants regular updates about my time here in Malawi. I am currently volunteering my time to the Ministry of Hope Crisis Nursery and Orphan Feeding Centers.  I am a Neonatal Intensive Care nurse helping to care for the orphaned, abandoned and ill babies of Malawi.  I will try to post updates as often as I can. I thank you all for your support and prayers. Please send them to the babies, children, and people of Africa too. I hope in the pictures you are able to get a small idea of what life is like here for me, but mainly the people of Malawi.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Love


Today I am feeling better both physically and emotionally. I had a productive, long day at the nursery. The highlight of my day is revealed in this picture. This is Joshua. He arrived the same day that I did at the nursery. His mother died of HIV and his step-mother was caring for him... then she too became ill. So that is how we came to receive Joshua. He cries quite a bit (more than others), but also can have happy, quiet times. The hardest thing for me is looking into his eyes. He has eyes that are deep, that say "love me". What child's eyes don't you may ask? His are different. He looks back at you with these black eyes and the curliest eyelashes I have ever seen. Just sweet, innocent love.
He was crying today so I took him outside to get fresh air. I let him touch leaves from the trees and he immediately stopped crying. He held on to them tight. We walked around and then I held him on my lap on this bench where we sat for a good hour. I was so content, I felt like there was no place on earth I would rather be, than in that moment. I started to cry as I held him to think that this poor child will grow up not knowing his mother, or maybe not even having one. It just seems so unfair. Why such a sweet innocent child is robbed of something so sacred, a mother. So I sat, held him tight and thought, he may not get this attention, this love, this security that every child deserves. I gave it to him in that moment, and I think he felt it. It is another part of my daily battles in being here, as I had predicted it would be before I came. How can I just continue on with my selfish life, when all they need is someone to love them? I think that the life they would be blessed to lead in America would be better than where they are coming from, but maybe that is an ego-centric American view too? I don't know, but these babies are so sweet it is impossible to do anything... but love them.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful picture! Our family checks your blog daily for updates. The kids are absolutely fascinated by the picture you are painting for them of Africa and some of its culture. They've had a lot of questions, and we've had a lot of teaching moments. Hang in there!

Jessica said...

Hi sis.. What a great photo. I'm so proud of you for being there and giving your time and love to the babies who need it the most. Thanks for sharing the great stories! Love, Jess

Jenny said...

Briana,
Your Aunt Becky hooked me up with your Blog, and she forwards me your comments. What an angel you are to these precious babies. I thank God that he has sent you to show them what it is like to be loved unconditionally. I read your daily comments and shed tears...tears of happiness and sadness at the same time. Know that your safety and well-being are constantly in my prayers. What a special girl you are!!!
Jenny Adams