I have created this blog for anyone that wants regular updates about my time here in Malawi. I am currently volunteering my time to the Ministry of Hope Crisis Nursery and Orphan Feeding Centers.  I am a Neonatal Intensive Care nurse helping to care for the orphaned, abandoned and ill babies of Malawi.  I will try to post updates as often as I can. I thank you all for your support and prayers. Please send them to the babies, children, and people of Africa too. I hope in the pictures you are able to get a small idea of what life is like here for me, but mainly the people of Malawi.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Warm Welcome!

Posted by Picasa

My first day back at the nursery and I was greeted with open arms. They all remembered my name and were jumping and singing to greet me. It was the cutest thing ever. It made me feel so happy to be back. There are currently 20 babies at the nursery and not accepting any new ones at the present moment because some are sick. Three of the babies have been quarantined for really bad skin blisters that look like MRSA to me, but doubt it do to the lack of broad-spectrum antibiotics. Maybe impetigo? Who knows what it could be?? I am not used to seeing stuff like this. I will be working on it today however! A few babies have high fevers and colds too. Most are young or appear to be so because of their small size. I brought with me several cans of formula with increased calories so I am happy that some of the smaller babies will get an extra boost to help them to grow. Only one of the babies remains from my time last year, (Delori) and the nannies say she is their boss. Yesterday she had on this taffeta dress on and I asked her if she got all dressed up because she knew I was coming. At some point, it must have been some little girls Easter dress.
The rest of my day was in pursuit of my luggage that didn't arrive. Chris is still in the United States and won't be returning for another 2 days so he has been gracious enough to let me borrow his truck while he is gone. So, as I navigated around on the left side of the road, dodging Africans, goats, and crazy drivers I made it to the airport to find both of my bags there, all things intact! What a relief!! My day continued to present with a few other encounters. One of the first things I saw on my drive to the nursery was a woman collapsed in the road with a baby on her back. Two people sauntered up to help with no sense of urgency. I saw one woman take the baby off her back and another guy walk up. The worst part of it all is that I had to keep driving. I was alone and it isn't safe to stop. It made me so sad. I am not sure if she fainted or actually passed away. Her eyes were rolled back in her head and she looked completely lifeless. It was a reminder of the realities here.
I think I am finally on the Malawi time clock. Last night it was all I could do to stay up until 9pm, but I finally feel rested. So, I am off to the nursery again and will be meeting up with my friend Kat there later this afternoon. More to come on the babies and Wednesday I will give an update on Madalitso. I get to see her!

No comments: