I have created this blog for anyone that wants regular updates about my time here in Malawi. I am currently volunteering my time to the Ministry of Hope Crisis Nursery and Orphan Feeding Centers.  I am a Neonatal Intensive Care nurse helping to care for the orphaned, abandoned and ill babies of Malawi.  I will try to post updates as often as I can. I thank you all for your support and prayers. Please send them to the babies, children, and people of Africa too. I hope in the pictures you are able to get a small idea of what life is like here for me, but mainly the people of Malawi.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Summer Days...

The days are flying by, the weather is getting hotter and the rains have just arrived. It has become near impossible to stay cool making the mere act of movement uncomfortable. It has also brought babies to the nursery in droves, and small ones at that. I guess it is good I am here. Today we got little twin babies that weighed in each at about 1.5 kg=3.3 lbs. Too tiny to be around 25 other babies with runny noses. So far, one has been able to take his feedings by bottle, but I had to put a feeding tube in the other brother. Started a few IV's on other babies that were sick and then went back to the clinic to check on Chisomo and another sick baby I took to the hospital yesterday. Both are looking better and getting stronger. There is too much work for both of us (myself and the clinical officer at the nursery) and my work days just keep getting longer. The hardest part is not the work itself, it is the energy required to constantly explain why it should be done a certain way and why do it at all. The trained clinical officer was giving a baby too much fluid this morning and luckily I caught it before damage was done. She tells me this is the way we do it in Malawi. It is hard to bite my tongue and be as diplomatic as possible, when the comparison of survival rates is staggering. It is just scary the way medicine is practiced here. So by the end of the day I am drained and ready for a bath and bed. I think when it comes time for me to come home I will be both eager and conflicted at the same time. It is hard to leave a place that seems as if it is falling apart at the seams, but there also comes a time for the people here to step up. The western world is not the answer to their problems. We can help, but must empower them to look within. Meanwhile, I promise I will continue to give it my all and do my best every day to help the babies and people here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Bree!

Love,

Mit

Anonymous said...

Briana,
I love reading about all of the amazing things you are doing for the children of Malawi. They are so lucky to have you to care for them.
Your mom and I had lunch together today. You are always one of the topics of conversation when we get together. Your mom is so proud of you - as are lots of people here!
Keep up the great work! You are amazing!!!
p.s. garrett says hi!
Your friend,
Julie Sheets