I have created this blog for anyone that wants regular updates about my time here in Malawi. I am currently volunteering my time to the Ministry of Hope Crisis Nursery and Orphan Feeding Centers.  I am a Neonatal Intensive Care nurse helping to care for the orphaned, abandoned and ill babies of Malawi.  I will try to post updates as often as I can. I thank you all for your support and prayers. Please send them to the babies, children, and people of Africa too. I hope in the pictures you are able to get a small idea of what life is like here for me, but mainly the people of Malawi.

Friday, October 19, 2007

Chisomo

There was a problem with the picture when I posted it the first time, so I will try again. This is Chisomo, a baby I rescued yesterday from a far off village about 2 hours away. His mother died from complications and he is now the last of 6 children. He came home with me last night and I fed him throughout the night. His eating slowed down a bit and his temperature regulation became more of an issue. I had him skin to skin, aka African Isolette, or more familiar Kangaroo Care most of the night. The plan was for me to keep him with me for a few weeks until he gets bigger and stronger. In the next post I will fill you in on the events of this morning. Please pray for Chisomo to be healthy and strong.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Bree,
This picture reminds me of the one in my office -- you with a baby up on your left shoulder. Only this time, you have Chisomo so wrapped up, he couldn't move if he wanted! Perfect neck support! You're the best surrogate mom a baby could ever have. Love you, Mom

Russo said...

Bree,
So Cher, little african preemie! Gosh I wish I was there with you! You are the best, girlfriend!
Sara